Call for Papers
American Association of Italian Studies
American Association of Teachers of Italian
University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ
March 26-28, 2020
Following a long hiatus, the third joint conference of the American Association for Italian Studies and the American Association of Teachers of Italian will take place from March 26-28, 2020 at the University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ.
In keeping with the mission of the AAIS/AATI, the conference organizers invite members to organize sessions and roundtables that approach Italian Studies through interdisciplinary lenses and represent a wide range of interests and time periods. We encourage participation from colleagues working in and across African and African American studies, anthropology, art, architecture, classics, comparative studies, environmental studies, film and media, geography, history, Italian American/Italian Diaspora studies, linguistics, music, queer studies, theater, women’s, feminist, and gender studies, and more.
Please consult Conference Guidelines for complete norms for organizers, chairs, and speakers.
Timeline for Accepting Proposals:
October 15, 2019: Call for submissions and roundtables due. Completed sessions and roundtables may also be sent at this time.
December 1, 2019: Proposals due to Session and Roundtable Organizers with title, brief abstract (150-200 words), and short bio.
December 20, 2019: All completed sessions and roundtables due.
ALL proposals should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
- In order to organize a session or roundtable, you must be a member in good standing of the AAIS or AATI. Non-members may not organize sessions. Membership renewal is available at each organization’s website.
- Sessions and roundtables with fewer than three speakers or participants will not be accepted.
- In proposing sessions and roundtables, please include no more than two individuals from any single institution.
- Graduate students are encouraged to submit proposals ONLY if they are ABD and have already embarked on the writing of their dissertations. They are asked to submit to session organizers a brief statement from their advisor affirming their ABD status.
- All participants in a session or roundtable must be AAIS or AATI members by February 15, 2020. Sessions including non-members will not be included in the program.
AAIS/AATI 2020 Conference Workshops and Activities:
- Community engagement and engaged scholarship
- Thursday morning workshops (8:30 am -noon, March 26, 2020) – details TBA
- Professionalization Workshop
- Revised AAIS Business Meeting format (Fri., March 27, 5:00-6:30 pm)
FINALIZED Workshops with abstracts and registration information will be announced on the AAIS/AATI listservs and websites as well as the conference webpage. All workshops are included in the conference registration fee.
2020 Convention Registration:
Regular members: $160 (“early bird” registration received by February 1, 2020, $130)
Graduate students, Contingent Faculty & K-12 teachers (earning less than $55K annually),
Emeriti: $100 (“early bird” registration received by February 1, 2020 $80)